Because WordPress.com blogs aren’t like self-hosted WordPress blogs in the sense that you can access the web server file directory with a self-hosted blog, verifying your WordPress.com blog with Google Webmaster Tools might not be obvious to a new WP.com or GWT user (or anyone in fact)! I recently discovered how to do this, so I’m sharing my findings with the world!
You can verify your Google Webmasters Tools account with your blog by following these simple steps:
- Head to http://www.google.com/webmasters and login using your Google account.
- Click the ‘Add A Site’ buton and enter your blog URL.
- Now you will be shown a number of ways to verify this is your blog, choose the ‘Alternate Methods’ tab and then choose the ‘Add a meta tag to your site’s home page’ option.
- You will then be shown a meta tag similar to this:
<meta name='google-site-verification' content='dBw5CvburAxi537Rp9qi5uG2174Vb6JwH>– you need to copy the ‘content’ value (the part in bold) from the meta you were shown in Google Webmaster Tools.
- Now head to your blog dashboard and go to ‘Tools’ -> ‘Available Tools’ and paste the ‘content’ value you’ve just copied into the ‘Google Webmaster Tools’ field, just under the Webmaster Tools heading.
- Save the changes on the WordPress dashboard that you’ve just made.
- Head back to Google Webmaster Tools and click ‘Verify’, your site should now be verified – if not, wait a few minutes! Any problems, dop a comment below!
Simple as that – although it’s not obvious at first because the option is only available under a hidden submenu.